View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:21 pm 

I have a swarm of bees that have taken up residence in one of the piers supporting my pergola. It has been VERY hot lately and they have been very active. Not a problem for me, but it is very distressing for my boarders. (Basically - they're freaked)

I really don't want to see any harm come to the bees, nor do I want unhappy (or stung) boarders. Any suggestions?

If it were just Gordon and me here I'd leave them bee ... [ :D ]

But we have boarders living in the back half of the house, and the pergola is outside their bedroom windows.

I cannot actually do more myself other than admire them, as I am allergic to bees and don't carry an epi-pen around with me anymore (I know - slack of me - but I haven't been stung in many many years)

I'm attaching a picture
Attachment:
File comment: Bees at the top of the Pergola (about 9 or 10 feet up)
my-bees.jpg
my-bees.jpg [ 255.97 KiB | Viewed 6531 times ]

Advertisement

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 am 

Not too sure Beth, maybe your local council or ranger could point you in the right direction?

Gaz and Danae's Garden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am 

Tried that first...

Basically, the answer was that if the bees are inside a stucture (wall cavity etc) they won't do anything. They recommended I hire an exterminator.

I don't want to kill them. I was hoping that there might be a way to coax them into a structure that can later be removed?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:10 pm 

Contact the Bee Society in case anyone wants to start a new hive or get practice moving them. It can be quite easy if they are on a branch, to just knock them in to a box after sunset. But different if they are in something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:13 pm 

So is that a concrete filled, fibre cement column holding up the lintel? Have they managed to get in through a small hole an up into the wall cavity?

I guess contacting a pest controller can't hurt, they might be able to recommend someone who can relocate the hive as opposed to destroying it.

There are a number of adds on gumtree offering bee relocation

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-perth/bee+r ... k0l3008303

but you do need to be careful with gumtree as there are plenty of scammers out there, scattered amongst the genuine offers...

Gaz and Danae's Garden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:16 pm 

Looks like its in the pier. If so its going to be a big job to get the bees out, possibly some demolition needed. It would not be a cheap or easy job to get that lot out successfully.

Cheers
Rob.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:14 am 

Once they move into a structure it is almost impossible to get them out. I had the same problem a few months back where a swarm moved into a wall cavity. I called two local bee keepers and both had the same answer - too hard sorry. I ended up having to kill the bees and seal up the hole they were going in. Unfortunate but not much else I could do without ripping apart the wall.

Bender's Backyard
Bender's Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:39 pm 

I would agree that once they are established it is extremely difficult to get rid of them.

You can hire an apiarist to come and remove the queen with some workers to relocate the hive, however the remaining workers will probably just raise a new queen to take over.

The best option is to just poison them and be done with it. I know it's not the option you are looking for, but in the long term, it really is the best solution.

If you don't want to pay for a pest controller, there is a very cheap, readily available pet treatment which will kill the bees rapidly (PM if you want to do this and I'll give you the info). Simply place a few drops in with some honey and the bees will carry it back to the hive and your problem will soon be over.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:39 pm 

I've decided to leave them bee :-). I introduced the listers to them and they watched while I hung a dish of water for them near the entrance (to keep them from suicide in the swimming pool). If they become a problem, I'll get pest control to dispatch them. :-(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 pm 

keep us updated
MiL had some in her wall had to be sprayed a few weeks later more in the same place and more spray.

There used to be a youtube of how to get them out alive from a difficult spot(tree stump) ..but I cant find it again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:55 pm 

Hey got an idea about your bees . There is a product that can be applied to cloth and dropped into the hole that will run the bees out. Bee keepers use it to run the bees out to harvest the honey. Manlake is a company that sells it. You would have to be Careful a person with a suit for protection would have to wall up the honey and the bees will be everywhere for a bit.