View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is food too cheap?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:22 pm 

I think that food is too cheap, not only cheap but crappy as well...

I hardly visit a supermarket any more, shop only at a butcher and small grocer that sells a lot of local and niche products. Found myself buying a lot of organic lately too, organic milk, organic eggs, organic juice, etc, mainly to support the organic industry rather than some health kick.. And not because I think organic certification is great, more because I know that chances are the product has been grown and produced by someone who gives a damn about what they are doing, rather than only have the $ in mind.

I've also been getting lots of small niche products too, gold medal winning organic olive oil grown in York, jam made locally by a small business, salad dressing made by a small place down on the south coast, organic bread from the local bakery, smoked chicken breasts done in Margaret River...

Yeah it costs me more but I feel it's more representative of what food really should cost.. It's certainly more representative of what food should taste like. I'm supporting the small grocer shop that is supporting the organic growers and producers, as well as the small cottage industries. Ok, $3.50 for a litre of organic milk, or $10 for one smoked chicken breast, or $4.50 for 1.5L of biodynamic/organic apple juice nay not be everyones cup of tea,

I guess when it's something you believe in then you have to invest in it, and investing in the best quality locally produced produce that can be bought is a fine investment I'm happy to make...

Which I guess brings things full circle to the point of growing your own, then you don't have to pay the higher prices for quality produce grown by others..

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Is food too cheap?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:31 pm 

Good to hear EB.
The "buy local" campaign has ever been pushed hard enough. I am happy to pay more for local goods because it would be a sad state if we couldnt buy local produce one day.
If you cant grow it you should buy it from someone who lives as close to you as possible, I think.
And it is almost always better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:22 pm 

I get organic fruit and veg home delivered (there are a couple of on-line organic shops based in Perth now) and when you consider that they are bringing it straight to your house it is not much more expensive they the supermarkets. I would need to spent about $5 in petrol to drive to the shops and back.

The quality is excellent, all seasonal from local producers, no long term cold storage and no nasty chemical resides that are associated with stone fruit and grapes. Seems to taste better too, probably due to freshness rather than being organics, I get excited opening my mystery box each week :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:50 pm 

I think you answered your own question EB. You pay what you believe to be a realistic price for the quality of the food you purchase. The food you don't buy from the big chains very often does not measure up to what we would categorise as edible or decent food so it should not be priced accordingly.

I actually thing that the crap that the big chains and the corporations that supply them try and pass off as food is to expensive for what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:02 pm 

i had organic fruit and veg home delivered for a while, twas great. now i buy it all. just about everything is local, home grown/ made, and organic . helps having Peaches (the shop) 100m down the road :) :shifty:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:40 pm 

I find myself using the shops less. Too use to walking through the garden and getting all the vegies I need.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 pm 

Location: Bassendean West Australia Mediteranean climate (perth)
Couldnt agree more,
We get most of our fruit and veg from either the Midland markets or local grocer. Grocer has great butcher next door who has great stuff.
Fruit and veg fgrom the big guys is crap and we like to support the locals.
Still get milk (harvey fresh) and other stuff from big guys.
They are big and ugly but convenient,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:53 pm 

dufflight wrote:
I find myself using the shops less. Too use to walking through the garden and getting all the vegies I need.

haha yep i do this too, now for lunches i grab a empty container, and on my way out the gate to work i grab a load of veggies for a salad . . . . its the best :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:42 pm 

Hmmm, reminds me of this pic I just found on my puter from a couple of years back, bit of a wander around the garden, what more do you need.....

Attachment:
IMG_0839 (Medium).jpg
IMG_0839 (Medium).jpg [ 92.79 KiB | Viewed 7357 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:45 pm 

nice!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:17 am 

Before I started aquaponics I used to eat out all the time. Now I have incentive to cook at home and I have been, with many of the ingredients within a short walk in the yard. We are cooking at eating more fruits and vegetables as well.

Buying local is always a good idea. I used to take small business classes and one of the instructors used to say that if you spent locally that dollar you spent would change hands 7 times within your community. If you spent at a large national store, that dollar left your community immediately.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:40 pm 

eb....most folks ie the masses would say food is expencive just depends on whats in your wallet or whats of real value to you.
i produce so much food on site that a whole beef rib eye ,or a whole ny strip is cheap to me. simply because i don't have a food budget to adhere to......thank god no beer budget either :wink:
personaly i never scrimped on food, because i think you are what you eat...tis why we are here ...no?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01 pm 

We are lucky where we are, The local IGA Supermarket sells a lot of Locally grown produce. We have Local Egg Farms to get eggs from, and the local butcher sources a lot of his meat from the surrounding areas.

We try to use farmers markets, Local sales, and the only supermarket we use is the local iga that has freinds/family working at it.

I think most of the time to buy local produce can be cheaper... well around here it is (Central Vic) and the taste is 100% better. We had some freinds up from melb who couldnt believe the taste of my veggies that i sourced from the farmers market in bendigo. they use the Birds eye and Mccain frozen varities (very far behind in the world, they call us full issue hippies hahaha) i hope that they start trying to source some local stuff now after my Very Drunken rant too them about it all.....

I cant wait to get a bigger plot to start my backyard production reveloution and not have to rely on what we can get hold of

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:23 pm 

I love buying from local farmers. We have farmers markets on Saturday's here in Missouri. I get quite a few of my groceries from there. I think that we should support them as much as possible.