View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is chook allow???
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:03 pm 

HI there,

Months ago I called the council of Gosnells and was told that I am not allow to have chooks on my property due to my land size is not over 800 or 900sqm, recently city farmer ard the house introducing chicks and I over heard that the person say we are allow 2 have 2 chooks in residential property? I tot I heard wrongly and get my hubby to ask the questions again and yes the lady from city farmer comfirm it again.. okk oh...

So can anybody shed some light?

cheers

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Is chook allow???
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:43 pm 

kitkioko wrote:
HI there,

Months ago I called the council of Gosnells and was told that I am not allow to have chooks on my property due to my land size is not over 800 or 900sqm, recently city farmer ard the house introducing chicks and I over heard that the person say we are allow 2 have 2 chooks in residential property? I tot I heard wrongly and get my hubby to ask the questions again and yes the lady from city farmer comfirm it again.. okk oh...

So can anybody shed some light?

cheers

Check your local councils website, they normally have information on what animals can be kept on a block.

LV aka Tony
My Blog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:39 pm 

Or don't ask them. Our local council web site has a Q&A. Someone asked if they could have a rooster in town and the answer that came back was your not allowed to have chooks. Nice for a rural town. :crazy:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 pm 

http://www.gosnells.wa.gov.au/upload/go ... 8EC1B4.pdf

PART 2 – KEEPING OF ANIMALS
Division 1 – Keeping of birds
4. Keeping of poultry and pigeons in a residential zone
(1) An owner or occupier of premises in a residential zone shall not keep or permit to be kept on the premises any poultry or pigeons –
(a) unless approved by the local government in accordance with clause 5; and
(b) otherwise than in accordance with subclause (2).
(2) An owner or occupier of premises in a residential zone shall not keep or permit to be kept on the premises –
(a) more than 6 poultry unless the owner or occupier is an affiliated person in which case the maximum number of poultry may be increased to 25;
(b) more than 20 pigeons unless the owner or occupier is an affiliated person in which case the maximum number of pigeons may be increased to 150; or
(c) both poultry and pigeons simultaneously.
5. Application for approval to keep poultry and pigeons in a residential zone
Subject to compliance with clause 4(2), the local government may approve the keeping of poultry or pigeons in accordance with these local laws by an owner or occupier of premises within a residential zone subject to the following –
(1) The owner or occupier submitting an application to the local government, which application shall –
Published in the 15 December 2009 Government Gazette, WA No. 235 Special
(a) specify the number of poultry or pigeons proposed to be kept; and
(b) include a site plan showing lot size, location of enclosure, distance from boundaries and buildings and proximity to houses on adjoining land.
(2) The local government may at its discretion conduct public consultation with all owners/occupiers whose property abuts the applicant’s property prior to the application being determined.
(3) The local government may approve, with or without conditions, or refuse to approve an application received under this clause.
(4) Where an approval for the keeping of poultry or pigeons is issued subject to conditions, the holder of the approval shall comply or cause compliance with those conditions.
6. Conditions for keeping of poultry
A person who keeps poultry or permits poultry to be kept shall ensure that –
(a) no poultry shall be kept less than 9 metres from any residential building;
(b) no poultry is able to approach within 15 metres of a public street, public building, commercial premises or food premises;
(c) all poultry is kept in a properly constructed and securely fastened structure;
(d) the structure has an impervious floor laid with a fall to the front of at least 1 in 50;
(e)
all structures or enclosures within which poultry are kept are maintained at all times in a clean condition;
(f)
all poultry is kept continually confined.

LV aka Tony
My Blog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:36 pm 

Hi LV,
Thanks for the information and yes these are the information that I got from gosnells council too but I cannot understand why the city farmer allow to provide a mislead information :confused:
and on top if certain people do get fine, is city farmer going to pay for it? :bat: :anger:

Hey dufflight,
As far as I know that rooster usually not allow as it has a beautiful morning call :lol: and most people find that is annoying

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:47 pm 

Under them conditions there would not be many city blocks that could have chooks, ahhhh the country and open spaces

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:39 pm 

hey Nocky,

If I have enough open space, my daughter will probably not comig back home.... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:38 pm 

Thanks Kit, I have Just unloaded 2 kids and I am more than happy with the space

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:51 pm 

Six birds, with permission?!? :swear: When we left Armadale the number was 20 (which we stretched to 40-60!) I am really surprised and disappointed in the City of Gosnells.

I would say move to the country, but even here in sunny Narrogin the Town has been trying to push poultry out. I think this is more a couple of individuals in the Town trying to "urbanise" Narrogin. I know people around town who have been ordered to get rid of their roosters and others who were told to downsize. I bailed up the Mayor and he assured me that poultry will continue to be part of living here but I still have doubts. I also know of councillors who are less than supportive of backyard poultry.

First thing I would do if I was you would be to join a poultry club. It doesn't give you complete security but it does give you a little support in your struggle. People there will be able to tell you of loopholes and give you contacts at the council who maybe able to assist. Are your neighbours friendly? If so you should have little drama (just remember to send a dozen eggs over or a freerange roast chicken occasionally). If they aren't the feather loving type good coop design/care can almost eliminate all evidence of illegal egg production facilities.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:53 pm 

I'm in Moreton Bay Regional (Pine Rivers) so for me it's the following

Poultry and roosters
Allotments less than 600 m2 – no poultry permitted
Allotments up to 1199 m2 - twelve poultry
Allotments up to 3999 m2 - twenty poultry
Allotments greater than 2 hectares - more than twenty poultry
Keeping of more than twenty poultry on allotments greater than two hectares requires a permit.
Allotments less than 6000 m2 – no roosters permitted

The other two shires that became part of Moreton have different rules for each, not looking forward to when they rewrite it all under one by-law.

LV aka Tony
My Blog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:12 am 

wow...looks like you boys have it tougher than townfolk.

In Melbourne, your allowed 10 poultry. No Roosters.

My block is 265sqm....wouldnt want to be in your councils!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:39 am 

If you are confused about Gosnells local laws try speaking to http://www.cluckyhen.com.au/home pretty sure they are in Gosnells.

edit, not sure why the url link is not working, if someone can clean it up please do.

Last edited by Burnsy on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:50 pm 

http://www.cluckyhen.com.au/home

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:50 pm 

you don't need to put it in the brackets, the site does it for you

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:24 pm 

Thanks Jaymie, that is wierd, I just did the same thing again (pushed the URL button then inserted the address) and it worked this time, I never put any extra brackets in last time, it was just what the site had done :confused: