View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Noisy chooks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:02 am 

I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to best manage an Araucana who feels the need to make the loudest and most guttural noises at 6am every morning. The other 3 birds are other varieties and although they make some occasional noise, they are nothing like the Araucana. They have fresh water and organic laying mash available 24/7 and want for nothing. When I wake up to settle her down, I take some fresh corn and collard from the garden which they all love. Unfortunately, it only settles her down while she's eating then she's back to her mischief again. Not only is it waking us up every morning prematurely, i'm concerned there may be in the near future a complaint to council by a resident nearby. If I cannot sort this issue out with a couple of weeks I will have to move her on.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to stop this from happening (or at the very least reduce the severity of it)??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Noisy chooks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:38 am 

Is it after she lays an egg?
If not, you may find that she's the dominant hen in your flock and sometimes they will act like faux-roosters, and even try to crow!
Neighbours might be 'bought off' with some pretty blue/green eggs?
I have a book at home that I'm sure had a suggestion for quietening them down, I'll see if I can find it.

My first system: Kat's "Pretty" Aquaponics
My second system: Kat's Newer & Bigger System
My backyard: Kat's (soon-to-be) Suburban Oasis
My tangents: Cheese-making

Post subject: Re: Noisy chooks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:07 pm 

That's for the reply katmac. I don't want to move her on however if she continues i'll have no choice. I'm not sure a few nice looking green eggs would be enough to sweeten the deal with the neighbours :-) If you find that book with the quietening down advice i'd love to hear it.

Cheers