View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Native Bees
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:16 pm 

Hi to the Native Bee people out there. :wave: Thought I would start this thread for people who don't have any yet {like me} but want to get info from people with experience {like Lord Viykor} hint hint :wink: . I have looked up info on the net, but it's good to speak to people who know the right and wrong way of doing things. I have to build a box for them yet, and was wondering if these would be OK? http://www.sugarbag.net/hives/ . I would like to seperate hives, and be able to get the odd bit of honey. There are already native bees around our area as there was a moonlight cactus flower open the other morning that was full of them, but I just could'nt see which way they were flying when leaving the flower. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers JORGY

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Native Bees
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:35 pm 

Sorry for such a late reply, too many forums/interests and too little time for all of them.

Native bees are cool Jorgy, they're great pollinators for your fruit and veg. The most common ones in your area are probably the Trigonia hockingsi you also get Austroplebia sp. around central Qld.

http://www.aussiebee.com.au/buy-stingle ... ml#NthnQLD

All the hives I have, have been purchased so I've never built a box. The hives I have are all similar in size to the OATH boxes. There are a couple of sellers in the link above mostly around Rockhampton.

A fantastic book on native bees is Australian Stingless Bees by John Klumpp.

LV aka Tony
My Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:46 pm 

Thanks for the reply Tony, I could have PM'd you but thought you would see it sooner or later. I think I will now concentrate on building some boxes and sourcing that book. I have always been interested in Native bees and have often seen nests of them in places that they cannot be removed, but i will eventually get some, it's just a mater of time. Thanks again Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:24 am 

You can keep native bees? I had never even considered it. I've seen blue banded bees around here before, clamped on to my hoya for the night (they might be the most adorable sleeping insects I have ever seen) but not any of the others.

I'm not sure what my neighbours would think about me becoming a beekeeper (bee custodian? bee friend?) but the idea that they are stingless should appeal :-)