View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoking Fish
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:20 pm 

Smoking fish is easy, and extremely rewarding, especially enjoyed with a beer. :thumb:

I mainly use Pelagic fish that I wouldnt normally keep when out fishing for reef species, this is because of their firm white flesh and you can turn an otherwise average table fish into something special. Fish species include but not limited to:

Mackerel - All Types
Trevally - Be careful of worms in larger fish
Queenfish
Shark

First of all I fillet and skin the fish, I then cube the flesh into bite size pieces, although you can cut it to any size you want.

Then let the fish soak in a brine for up to 2 hours.
My recipe for smoked fish may seem a bit odd, but believe me, it is great.

3/4 of a cup of Brown Sugar
Tablespoon of Coffee
Tablespoon of Vegimite
1 Beef Stock Cube
Tablespoon of Honey
Splash of Soy Sauce
Chilli Flakes or Powder to taste

Once all this is in add the tiniest amount of boiled water, this is basically just melt down the sugar, start stirring it all together, you dont want it to runny or to coarse, it should be nice and gluggy.

Take the fish out of the brine and pat it down with paper towel, try to remove as much of the moisture from the outside.
Next, brush the marinade on to the fish pieces, you can put all the pieces in with the marinade and mix it around but any moisture left on teh fish will turn the marinade too watery, this is a pain if you have alot of fish to get through.

I have a small Stainless Steel Smoker that I bought from a Tackle shop years ago and it works great. This is the stage where you want to set up the smoker.
I use Sheoak for the wood as I like the taste, this gets spread evenly on the bottom of the smoker.
The little burner gets filled with a little Metholated Spirits and placed under the smoker, dont light it yet though.

Load the fish onto the racks of your smoker, get as much in as you can but leave a liitle space between each piece to ensure the smoke gets in everywhere.

Place the racks in the smoker followed by the lid, then light the burner.

Wait until you get a good amount of smoke wafting out from around the lid, then at this point I time the cook for 12 to 15 minutes.

Once done, lift the smoker from the burner and extinguish the flame, or just let it burn out.
Remove the fish straight away to avoid it sticking to the rack and place in a airtight container.

You can either enjoy it hot there and then or bung it in the fridge and eat it cold over the next few days. Either way make sure your having a beer at the same time! :cheers:

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Smoking Fish
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:30 pm 

That certainly does seem a little unusual, I'm not going to ask how you would come up with such a recipe, but I know that sometimes the strangest mixes can be fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:55 pm 

Fish that keeps you awake, I like it. Now I need a smoker. :joy:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:35 am 

earthbound wrote:
That certainly does seem a little unusual, I'm not going to ask how you would come up with such a recipe, but I know that sometimes the strangest mixes can be fantastic.

KFC according to the world chefs is made from 11 herbs and spices that no professional would ever mix, the rest is history :dunno:

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:07 pm 

I dont know where it came from, my father taught it to me and I've done it this way ever since.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:11 pm 

Found this on wikipedia about the 11 secret herbs and spices at KFC.

Quote:
Several of Poundstone's contacts also provided samples of the seasoning mix, and a food lab found that it consisted solely of sugar, flour, salt, black pepper and monosodium glutamate (MSG). He concluded that it was entirely possible that, in the years since Sanders sold the chain, later owners had begun skimping on the recipe to save costs.[20][21][22] Following his buyout in 1964, Colonel Sanders himself expressed anger at such changes, saying:
Quote:
“ That friggin' ... outfit .... They prostituted every goddamn thing I had. I had the greatest gravy in the world and those sons of bitches-- they dragged it out and extended it and watered it down that I'm so goddamn mad!"

You know, I could just imagine the colonel saying the above statement.

Wouldn't that be funny hey, been watered down over the years till now it's only sugar, flour, salt, black pepper and msg.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:18 pm 

Is heaps of copycat recipes for KFC we tried a couple but not the same, Peter Brussel-Sprout has cracked the code he reckons http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1066183
I think why most copycat recipes aren't the same is because they leave out MSG, which is the colonel 's most secret ingredient :help:

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:57 pm 

I really dont know what the Big Deal with KFC is, it's bloody horrible stuff, extremely oily! No wonder kids of today are so overweight!

Anyway, Smoking Fish thread!!! Not KFC Thread!!!!! :yuck:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:48 am 

Problem is that you have to catch the fish first before you can smoke them, and lately it seems every time I go fishing we come back empty handed. :dunno: Might have to resort to buying some.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:49 am 

hey Joel, have you thought about this new-fangled system called Ackwaponicks? apparently you grow your own fish in the backyard :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:54 am 

Sounds like mumbo jumbo to me.....

:)

Post subject: Pruning, yes it's time
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 pm 

After my injuries at pruning I managed to finish, now I have plenty of Apricot, Plum, Apple and Peach branches so will put them through the mulcher and cut up some of the smaller stuff into pellets and see how they go, I kept some smaller stuff in piles near the trees I cut them off so I knew what was what, after my injury I took it easy for a while, went out to sort my piles later and she who knows everything thought I was being slack and picked them all up :dunno: so I know what the apple branches look like, all the rest will be a mix, but they should be a good smoking flavour

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:02 am 

Dave - great ingredients for your fish smoking - I'll have to try it. Never had coffee on fish, though I do occasionally do beef kebabs marinated in coffee and orange juice and that works rather well.

We had a good laugh a couple of weeks back....

We have take-away about twice a year and it's usually chinese, thai, or Little Caeser's pizzas. This time, the 11 year-old piped up and said she wanted the latest boxed meal from KFC (All Stars or something I think) so that's what she and her older sister ended up with for the night. I said I'd rather eat hair :yuck: , so spent 10 minutes making an omelette.
Anyway, they got home, sat down with some excitement and both got about halfway through their meal and stopped eating it, looked at us and said, "It's not very nice, we don't like it."
So, the dog ended up with it - not sure why as she didn't do anything to deserve that !!
Moral of the story: kids can learn what real food is if you give 'em enough of it :wink:

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:06 pm 

Don't try this at home :bash: you will be disappointed :blackeye:
I bought some Barra fillets and smoked them with Apple tree branches, carefully cut the branches into pellet size pieces, dried them in the sun for a week, used the fail safe nocky smoking method and the taste not so good, colour was perfect but tasted and smelled like a wood BBQ :bad: I am of the opinion best to stick with hickory, mesquite that you can buy in pellets from shops, sheoak and white gum are not bad either, I get these from timber mill.

Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:08 pm 

Thats no good mate, so apple wood is out then? :(

I need to experiment with more wood varieties, I was supposed to go on a 3 day fishing trip this friday but unfortunatly had to pull out :( , I'll see if the guys that are still going cant drop some fillets around for smoking though. :thunbs: