View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: de casa Burns
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:51 pm 

Been a strange season this year, pumpkins only just harvested a few weeks ago. Today I got limes, mandarines, pink grapefruit, tomatoes and picked one bunch of bananas to see if they will ripen off. Chooks are still laying an egg at least every day or second day, girls (both feathered and clothed) are loving the new nesting boxes.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 pm 

crazy crazy pumpkin weather!

Gaz and Danae's Garden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:17 pm 

I know what you mean, strange things ar happening this year, I've got pumpkins still ripening on the vine and I grew a huge pair of melons over Autumn :crazy:

Attachments:
IMG329 (Medium).jpg
IMG329 (Medium).jpg [ 157.37 KiB | Viewed 6981 times ]
IMG349 (Medium).jpg
IMG349 (Medium).jpg [ 100.47 KiB | Viewed 6981 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:07 pm 

My pumpkins were still going but I got sick of waiting and ripped them out to make room for the winter vegies. Still great in soup and roasts though so no loss.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 pm 

Noice melons!

Gaz and Danae's Garden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:57 pm 

Made a new garden today which was a move away from raised beds which most of my other gardens are. I started by cultivating a decent sized area with my little Bullfinch. Would have done a larger area but the ground is hard with a fair bit of gravel over clay so it really needs a bigger machine. There will be some sweetening up after winter harvest and hopefully I can run the bigger machine over it - better pull my finger out and get the Terrier rebuild moving again. Will start stockpiling some horse and chicken manure in readiness.

Planted out with brown onions (seed), spring onions (seed tape), oregon peas (seed), cabbage (seedlings), spinach (maxis that I have grown) and beetroot (seedlings). Can't wait to see all the rows up, even if they are crooked :ahhh: No irrigation so will see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 am 

Looks like a good amount of space for it Mike.The ground looks harsh but I'm sure that you will convert that in no time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:37 pm 

Cant wait to get some gadgets for my little farm.

Nice work mate, looks very neat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 pm 

Been rather busy lately and not in the garden so growth and harvest has been reflecting that. I have discovered a few issues in the new area I hoed over and planted. Very slow growth encouraged me to do a pH test this week which came back over 8. I have added some chelated iron and a bit of sulphur till I can get down to Mirco Bros to get a big bag or sulphur. A heap of humous with the sulphur should get it sorted ready for spring. Peas are through and I strung some lengths of ringlock for them to grow up. Onions did not spout at all surprisingly but the beetroot are starting to take off.

AP bed has been stripped out and is sprouting a heap of coriander.

Lemons, limes and grapefruit have been good but the area needs a whipper snip and general cleanup and I need to do some pH tesing there as well to check what is going on in case I have issues there as well. Still getting black russian tomatoes from the last plant and all the garlic is out and going well. I also started lopping the tops out of my olives to restrict their height and lopped the paperbark to get a some more sun into the area. The 5 minute bed is full of silver beet, broadbeans and cabbage.

Chooks are still laying which is great although I have still not finished their nesting boxes. There are bananas on the tree - not sure if this is right for the time of year?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:43 am 

Still sounds very productive Mike :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:03 pm 

Bit of warmth and things change quickly. One bloody chook laying on the perch and busting an egg a day, another has gone clucky.

Just awaiting the garlic to turn before I give the wicking bed a tickle and replant.

Grow bed full of coriander has shot to seed, still some coming on but will need shade, basil will be going in this weekend.

Beans, peas, cabbage, spinach and beetroot all on at the moment but just added some chook manure which will be followed by a trailer load of horse dung in readiness for the tomatoes to go in. Need to organise some retic for this bed, what would you do, trickle tube or three old school spinner sprinklers?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:37 pm 

Looks great! Trickles are more water saving but we like spinners ……it seems to give a much better soaking provided it isn't too windy.

If you have a garden and a library you have everything you need.
Cicero

our Aquaponics thread
https://www.facebook.com/mccarthy.park
http://www.mccarthypark.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 pm 

Peasants wrote:
Looks great! Trickles are more water saving but we like spinners ……it seems to give a much better soaking provided it isn't too windy.

My thoughts as well, they seem popular in the market gardens and seeing this is the only thing I water using a bit more than trickle does not bother me. Trickle aways leaves dry patches in my garden. Spinners are easy so might try three on a line this year and see how they go.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:22 pm 

hey Burnsy

nice garden, I like the nesting box setup and the motorised digger (I would call it the tool from hell). I got something similar here at the moment, a post hole digger from stihl, looks like a converted chainsaw with two big handles and an auger on the bottom, made around the 80ies by the look of it.

cheers

Gwydions chicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 pm 

Still got some pH issues with the alkali soil but it is slowly improving as I increase the organic matter. Spread chicken pen shavings, a trailer load of soil conditioner and a heap of suphur over the garden the other day in readiness for tomato planting. Ran the little howard bantum over it and it came up a treat. I have run a removable centre line with four sprinklers for retic and this gives me anothe 500mm coverage each side so I need to get the Terrier up and running to prepare another row or so each side by turning in a heap of horse manure that is arriving in the next few days.

Planted out two each of grosse lisse, beafsteak, black russian, brandy wine and greene zebra I had raised from seed into the area in the forground and some zucs and pumpkin around the other end. Hope the tomatoes go well, excited about having such a good selection if they go.

Currently picking the last of the peas, first bush beans, beetroot, red and green cabbage and spinach from this patch.

Attachment:
hillside 005.jpg
hillside 005.jpg [ 107.18 KiB | Viewed 6540 times ]

Attachment:
hillside 007.jpg
hillside 007.jpg [ 107.72 KiB | Viewed 6540 times ]

Attachments:
hillside 005.jpg
hillside 005.jpg [ 172.51 KiB | Viewed 6540 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next