View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:11 pm 

Wow, very purdy!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:41 pm 

Thanks for your positive comments. I'm wanted to create an area that connected to the rest of the yard where my daughter could see how vegetable and fruit grows, and do it in a way that looked clean and fresh. I think gardens that produce fresh produce can look great and be a landscaping feature.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:47 pm 

Well you've certainly achieved that!
It looks great, and seems very functional as well as pretty.

My first system: Kat's "Pretty" Aquaponics
My second system: Kat's Newer & Bigger System
My backyard: Kat's (soon-to-be) Suburban Oasis
My tangents: Cheese-making

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:51 pm 

Sorry could not read for the small print. Keep your photos to under 700 x 600 and it should be good. Maybe a moderator could fix it hey Charlie. Any work that encourages children in the garden is good also excellent bonding for parents, cheers.

CcBear's Home Produce and Preserves

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:50 pm 

Sorry guys I can't moderate this side of the fence, I think only Jaymie and Joel can.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:12 pm 

Damn nice set up you have there Troy.... :rock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:55 am 

All new homes should be landscaped like this - very sellable and modern way of considering the backyard. Perfect aesthetics.
W.A. - x4 tanks :) not a lot of water over there ? Does that get you through the year?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:37 am 

A lot of new building sub divisions are using local natives on the verge, but block sizes here in perth are getting smaller and smaller.
My aim was to landscape the garden with coastal natives, reduce lawn areas, and try to reduce the overall water used externally.
We currently have 18000 litres plumbed into the washing machine, toilet flushing, hot water system and dishwasher. During the winter months we are averaging 150 litres per day from the mains with the rest from the tanks. It does make a significant difference and with the cost of water rising it is also saving us money.
The water from the tanks gets us through to about December then the plumbing for these fixtures automatically goes back to the mains.
In the future I may look at installing another two tanks of similar size that will further lengthen the time we draw water from the tanks.
All new homes in Western Australia should have grey water recycling, and a rainwater tank for use for toilet flushing and clothes washing as a minimum. Anything that encourages water collection and recycling is a good thing, especially in a drying climate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:55 pm 

What a fantastic setup, so much more sustainable and sensible than the local big name who recently flouted his new house and landscape as being a sustainable master piece. Well done, I bet your kids love it.
i hope you have your citrus retic tapped off your at system they love it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:07 pm 

Cheers burnsy
I think I know who your talking about, and his house and gardens are awesome, obviously meticulous planning went into the whole project. I have also been to some of his water wise information sessions and they were great.
I think as a whole his project shows that with good planning you can create an Eco home that does not cost a much more than the standard home.
Unfortunately when we built I was there was information available but limited services so I cobbled together my project on what Was affordable. I made plenty of mistakes, and if I planned things a little better I could have improved what I have now.
A lot of the water wise, photovoltaic, and hot water systems have come a long way and reduced in price so the payback period has reduced significantly.
It is a shame that we don't have more regulatory standards when it comes to water wise and energy efficiency measures in new homes. The little bit more they cost upfront will certainly help lowering running costs and be better for the environment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:17 pm 

Hi Troy, nice looking and smart setup. can you tell me where you got your raised garden beds from? Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 pm 

Hi Troy, nice looking and smart setup. can you tell me where you got your raised garden beds from? Cheers

OOPs!!!! Sorry entered this twice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:47 am 

Sorry bout the delay, the raised garden beds were from rainfall tanks in bayswater, they have a great range of sizes and heights, and I think can even customise. Good price and service. I purchased them 4 years ago, so I hope they are still around. Otherwise I have dealt with Ross Mars and his family from grey water reuse in mundaring and they have a great range of products and a very good service.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:59 pm 

Thanks Troy I will check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:48 pm 

Make that rainfill tanks in bayswater