View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:19 pm 

Been busy mowing today and it looks like I might be up for a new push mower. As this one was a free one a couple of years ago I can not complain too much.

Have the first two bits of trim on one of the beds and will get to the others on the weekend I hope. Painting the upright trim dark beige and the top will be a lighter beige. Same name for the two shade but I got caught out with a change of formula after two years. O well now have six litres of the light colour so all barrels will now be a light beige.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 124.97 KiB | Viewed 6228 times ]

CcBear's Home Produce and Preserves

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

Advertisement

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 pm 

What type of push mover do you have bear?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:14 pm 

Just an old 4 stroke rover charlie, find them the best for rough going.

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:34 pm 

Started to do the top surround for the wicking bed this morning but all has come to a grinding stop. SUMMER is here 42 C here today, so at the moment I am inside with the AC set at 25 C. Some times old age is good.

On a sadder note my chooks were not laying and getting on in years. Had 3 left now there is one and if it ever comes back there will be none. Start again in the new year with fresh layers but from here on in I will be replacing my layers every year. Now to clean out the chook yard and shed and give it a good spay and clean up. Might even look at the new chook yard and get my green house back.

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:21 pm 

Inverter on the solar system stopped yesterday, rang my installers who gave me the number for the inverter producers. They emailed me instructions on how to take it of and to bring it over to them as I had one month on my warranty left and they would check it out with a full service. They are at Caloundra about 30 minutes away so I was able to drop it of by 1 pm.

Had a call at 12:30 pm today that it was ready for pickup. They had to replace the circuit breaker and every thing else work out ok. Just finished reinstalling and working well. So should be producing again tomorrow.

Continued working on the front wicking bed when it was not to hot and will have the first one done tomorrow then it is back to the fish for awhile. Will have to install the shade cover but that may be next weeks job.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 111.08 KiB | Viewed 6199 times ]

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm 

looks like a bought one :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:57 pm 

Thanks snags, the only thing which I did not have or scrounged was the timber for the surrounds. Will get one from the front tomorrow when I have finished it and there is better light.

As they are what you see when you drive in I wanted them presentable. Cheers

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:48 am 

Other then a couple of screws the first one is finished and look very good from my point of view. When all four are built I believe they will fit in well. With the different herbs at the front and our lettuce and other salads its only a matter of a couple of steps from garden to plate.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 142.2 KiB | Viewed 6191 times ]

Comparison before the cover up
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 157.21 KiB | Viewed 6191 times ]

As you drive in, still a lot of cleaning up to do
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 106.88 KiB | Viewed 6191 times ]

Work in progress more to come.

For herbs we have Parsley, French Tarragon, Oregano, Coriander, Thyme, Rosemary, Garlic Chives and two different chilli's. There is also a cumquat tree, Kaffar Lime and what is planted in the two beds just as the kitchen garden. Cheers

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:15 pm 

Been busy working on the RAS for the past week and have not got back into the front wicking beds. Time to plant this years ginger so I resurrected the barrel from the orchard where I grew last years crop.

Decided to do the barrel different this year and to move it up the front for easy checking. Emptied it out and gave it a good wash, decided not to use the 100 mm black drainage pipe and sand as I have been doing.

I used one of the milk crates I had around the lemon grass to stop the chooks digging the plants up. I had already cut the bottom out so I just cut it in half and placed it in the half barrel. Next I cut a disk from a bread crate to fit neatly in and placed on top of the milk crate. Cut a hole for the filler pipe to fit in and another in the centre to take a 150mm plastic plant pot. Next I covered the grate with geo cloth and put the filler pipe in position. Filled the plant pot with coar/peat and positioned this in the centre hole. This will form the wick and I hope it all works. Covered the geo cloth with a 50mm layer of sugar cane mulch and will position it and fill with soil tomorrow.

The material used
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 132.43 KiB | Viewed 6149 times ]

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 68.7 KiB | Viewed 6149 times ]

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 116.57 KiB | Viewed 6149 times ]

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:26 pm 

I did change a couple things from the photos, I removed the old over flow fitting and drilled three 25mm holes about 10mm above the grate. I covered these with some shade cloth silicone in position. I also did not use the filler pipe with the elbow. Used a straight bit of pipe with a angle cut on the bottom to allow the water to flow through.

Wicking pot in position and half the cane mulch.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 111.89 KiB | Viewed 6149 times ]

Will finish it of tomorrow, just hope it does the job. Picked the milk and bread crates up from the local recycle centre for $0.50 each so no great expense there.

Building a new fines filter for the RAS and using the disk from the bread crates in that design as well. A cheap and strong grate is obtained and can be used many ways I believe. Cheers

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:41 am 

Nice one Bear.

Sheez you keep your yard tidy by the way!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:24 am 

Nice looking IBC Bed Bear :thumb: Might show it to the olds to see what they think.. Their beds are in the front yard & could do with a bit of dressing up I think :wink:

Like the wicking barrel build.. Would be really easy to hook a few of them up in series & connect them to a tank or reservoir using a control box with a float in it to keep the water level constant..

I think we need to do a run up your way & stop in at your recycle centre.. could do with a boot full of cheap bread trays..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:36 pm 

Planted out the ginger barrel two days ago, done a soil mix of quality potting mix, new soil that I had purchased and some old soil and compost from down the back. The new soil is not taking in water and needs to sit in the weather for six months. After two days it seems to be the right mix, much better than the wicking beds.

With the WB's I used all new soil and cane mulch, this was a big mistake as the soil has gone hard and is not wicking. Have decided when the weather is cooler I will dig it all out and remix with potting mix and course sand. Will also set up reserve the same as I have in the ginger barrel by adding several peat wicks to each bread crate forming the water reserve. Any one local feel like giving a hand you are all welcome.

Today's temperature reached 42c and the same is expected for tomorrow with no rain forcast. The plants suffered badly so I have rigged a temporary 30% shade cover over both beds.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 132.8 KiB | Viewed 6118 times ]
hey Charlie it only looks neat in the photo, a panoramic view would show more.

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:33 am 

haha, as long as we just see the neat bits mate.

Man it was hot yesterday! We have no air conditioner and it has me buggered how the previous owners survived.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:09 pm 

Already 40c here mate, just closed of the lounge room and turned the AC on. I think we are in for a long hot dry summer mate and AC units will be in demand. They are cheap these days even for good brand name and if you set them at 25/26 they are economical to run especially the Inverter ones.

Install them for Christmas nd you will earn heaps of brownie points and maybe a silver sheriffs star, cheers.

BackYard Aquaponics
CcBear's First System

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next