View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:32 am 

So I am hoping to do raised beds in the front yard surrounded by mulch or something that won't take much upkeep. I am tempted to just try and kill off everything in front and start from scratch. I am even thinking of doing this in the back since my pooch has allergies to just about every kind of grass. Does anyone have recommendations on a safe and effective way of doing this? I want my pups to be able to safely use the yard after treating. I've heard vinegar but also conflicting arguments that it isnt all that safe or effective... I live in Florida so ground is very sandy which I wouldn't mind in the back, but might consider the right ground cover... I just don't know where to start not being from here and always living at places where yard care was not my responsibility. :sigh:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Advertisement

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 am 

Given that you want to kill the grass and replace it with mulch between the garden beds I think the best solution which is also natural and chemical free is just to smother all the grass and weeds with thick sheet mulch to give you a blank canvas to work with.

Start by removing large plants and levelling out the ground, collect a heap of cardboard from skip bins out the back of your local shops and spread it out over the area so the edges overlap eliminating any gaps that weeds might try to grow through. Next order it a truck load of course wood chips form your local tree surgeon and spread them out at least 2 inches thick over the whole area. Weeds suppressed and yard mulch all at once.

As a bonus all the cardboard and wood chip will break down over time and add organic matter to the sandy soil.

:joy: I say go for it both front and back yard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm 

Wow! I have a bunch of cardboard from moving to get started, and I may have found some free mulch! ^_^ I'm so excited! I need to start saving up for the wood for beds if I cant find some for free. :mrgreen:

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2