View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:16 am 

Our town is surrounded by cotton farms that have been spraying a lot worse for a lot of years. :( I am trying to pull out most of the grass. It doesn't seem to like the olive drum hot composter. :hot:

Advertisement

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:44 am 

we had on old carpet over 1 bad spot of cooch and eventually gras has grown through, have tried triple strength round up for now. This thread is about Retic anyhow :bat: :lol:

Simo had a look at a new section I put retic in and sandy right near a sprinkler and it is easy to se the sand is wet under the popup, I think it comes down to the quality of sprinkler you use, like I said spend now and save later :thumb:

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:57 pm 

Location: NW Vic. Australia. Mediterranean climate, low rainfall
Some mini sprinklers can be a pain but without a watering system we certainly wouldnt have much of a garden. On our very large garden we have used many different set-ups and replaced many of them over the years. The worst are the small micro jets & drippers that block with ants and dirty water. (We are not on filtered town water). But they are still useful in some areas.
The spinning sprays (rotor spray, rotor rain), do a fairly good job and we have mainly used them in our large garden beds. I have replaced some areas with the in-line dripper hose and found it to be very good, especially in long narrow beds. I always put a tap in the end (or bend the end over) so that i can flush it out.
veggie boy wrote:
I like Leeaky Hose.
I assume VB has clean water? as I have found the porous hose to be totally useless with our dirty water (even with filters).
We have pop-ups in our lawn (click/clack ones) and they are fairly good, but sometimes grass can stop them from turning.
The spectrum jets (as mentioned in another post) are the best for pots and can also be used as a dripper. The shrubbler with 8 holes also makes a good adjustable dripper.
All watering systems require some maintenance, but it certainly beats dragging hoses around.

our aquaponics http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... =18&t=6875
backyard viewtopic.php?f=24&t=107

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:43 pm 

While we are on town water, I have used with quite grubby compost teas and stuff succesfully. Check out the Leakky Hose site. This hose runs at much lower pressure than many of the brands (in fact I have run fine gravity feed from little over a metre) meaning that the dirt is not forced out through the poors to clog them. Debri builds up at the end of the line and you just flush by opening the end (or turning a tap if you have installed one as you describe above).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:26 am 

I use the one thats made out of what looks like black plastic pond liner. It has slits every foot or so.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:17 pm 

Location: NW Vic. Australia. Mediterranean climate, low rainfall
I checked out the Leaky Hose website....The animated picture showing it working was impressive and would be great if it continued to work like that. What we had looked similar, but i'm certain it wasnt that brand. We did have a tap at the end to flush it out, but found that didn't help much as the pores trapped too much dirt and blocked. We then inserted drippers along it and used it like that for a while, but recently my 'dearest' let a fire get out of control and it ended up a melted mess. :bash: So have now replaced it with in-line dripper hose, as well as replacing some burnt plants.

our aquaponics http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum ... =18&t=6875
backyard viewtopic.php?f=24&t=107

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:03 pm 

I've not used the leaky hose style before, though I have been thinking about using it in some of my old garden beds that just don;t seem to get enough water down to the root zone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:16 pm 

I had a length of that style of hose that I bought from a supermarket once and as Leeaky Hose claim, the pressure requirement was totally different to that of the Leeaky Hose. I think this makes a big difference to how it can be used both in terms of dirty water applications, but also (and most importantly for me) provides the ability to run off gravity feed which is a great thing. Now I sound like I am marketing the stuff - which I am not :oops: (but if you are reading Mr Leeaky Hose - I'll happily take some more product for my trouble :lol:).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:26 am 

veggie boy wrote:
(but if you are reading Mr Leeaky Hose - I'll happily take some more product for my trouble :lol:).

Let us know if that works VB :thumb:

My Websites: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
http://www.bbq-down-under.com