View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:00 pm 

Has anyone else had retic drama's (stupid question I feel) and what have you found that works, :dunno: I reckon after 9 years I have tried it all but finally seem to be onto it, well it works better than it ever has.
When we bought the place, the previous owners father owned a retic shop and we had miles of of retic hoses everywhere, the main lawn was watered by 3 huge popup ticka ticka sprinklers (hope you know what I Mean), enough to water the WACA cricket ground, pumped out more water than Mundairing Weir at overflow but didn't actually wet the lawn much, only at the end of the jet, have no idea why 3 as one would have cone plenty so they came out along with about 3 miles of poly pipe and many micro sprays and drippers and smaller popups.
We are lucky to have 2 water meters so one drives the retic and one the house, having 2 meters doesn't appear to cost that much extra as we are always on the lower charge and just below the town average use, where as if we had one we would be well above average use and pay the higher rate.
Every year for 9 years I have had to tinker with the retic, I have tried cheap and expensive sprinklers and now my findings, what I think are good and bad.
The best popups are the ones where you can change the head and screw on another, they generally come with just a white top screwed on with a wide mouth so you can flush the crap out.
I have tried full circles, half circles, 1/4 circles, 3/4 circles but the best are the adjustable circles, they seem to throw much further and if they block up open them to full circle and they flush out, below is an example of what I use, the adjustable nozzles are black where as the ones in the pic are the now sacked half circles, you can see how they screw off for changing, handy and cheaper if you hit one with the mower, and when you use a 1/4 or half circle they always are a tad small on angle for what you want to cover so you can have any spray angle you want, they're are different variants of the popup in the picture, the example costs less than $5 each

Attachment:
retic.jpg
retic.jpg [ 59.65 KiB | Viewed 4956 times ]

My Main yard is 10 metres by 20 metres and the popups spray around 5 metres in radius so to allow for overlap and the occasional low pressure I have my popups about 6 metres apart, in the above area I have 8 popups but they also water the fruit trees and other trees on the outside of the lawn, the popups use 2 stations and run for 30 minutes each every 2nd day and with at the height of summer and twice a week in spring and autumn, they are very efficient at these settings.
What doesn't work are they cheap $2 popups you get at some hardware and discount shops, best to spend a couple of dollars more and do the job properly or you will be changing things forever, putting in retic is hard work and very frustrating when in fails, spend now and save later, or you will try and save now and fork out more later.
Also a waste of time are micro sprays and drippers they block up always, and the mist from the micro's blows all over the place and is hardly enough water to make the plants survive, in summer the water they put out evaporates before the plant gets benefit anyhow, you can get risers from 6" to 3 feet to get your pop higher off the ground, and I find it best to hand water hanging baskets, if you go on holidays then get your baskets closer to the ground so the popups can water them.
Well my 2c worth, I am happy to answer questions as I haven't covered the whole 9 years and have had just about all the stuff ups you can have, the best advice probably doesn't come from the hardware store as they generally sell you whatever they can and don't know enough about it, A proper retic shop is the best, you may pay slightly more but the advice you get is priceless, these guys work with it all the time and know there business, we are fortunate to have a shop that specializes in retic in town (and home brew also, double bonus :thunbs: ) and they don't stock crap.
What do others think and use, no doubt we will end up with heaps of different theories, mine probably isn't perfect but works, after looking at other posted Idea's I may have to change again :|

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:37 pm 

Hi Nocky,

All I know is that pop ups don't water the ground surrounding them so they recommend that they are spaced the same distance apart as is their spray radius. See diagram, hope it makes sense.

Attachments:
retic.JPG
retic.JPG [ 57.24 KiB | Viewed 4948 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:46 pm 

One of my favourites is the stock standard old butterfly sprinkler. I have butterflies out the back on risers about 3 feet above ground. Then there's a selection of standard sprayers down the side of the house and in garden beds, with pop-up sprayers out the front in the lawn. In 10 years I have never had a problem with one butterfly sprinkler but I've replaced most of the other sprayers and pop-ups at some stage over the 10 years. Replaced some of them more than once...

Hmmm, the butterflies are the metal ones though, like the market gardeners used to use, not plastic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:49 pm 

No worries simo, my grass doesn't reflect that though, I feel it is due to the adjustable nozzles, as mentioned there will be a few different theories, nice pic

My Weather Site, going 12 years +
Nocky's Backyard
My Aquaponics System

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:03 pm 

earthbound wrote:
One of my favourites is the stock standard old butterfly sprinkler. I have butterflies out the back on risers about 3 feet above ground. Then there's a selection of standard sprayers down the side of the house and in garden beds, with pop-up sprayers out the front in the lawn. In 10 years I have never had a problem with one butterfly sprinkler but I've replaced most of the other sprayers and pop-ups at some stage over the 10 years. Replaced some of them more than once...

Hmmm, the butterflies are the metal ones though, like the market gardeners used to use, not plastic.

I had butterflies set in the ground for lawn retic at another house I had and I have to agree, simple design, work well, never get blocked :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:10 pm 

Wobble head sprinklers are good also. Low flow and cover a nice area.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:39 pm 

I like Leeaky Hose. Bought a 50 or 100 metre roll while I was still in suburbia. Brought it with me here and have used it on and off in my veggie gardens, but don't have it installed right now. Will get it in again when I've finished renovating the veggie patch. Best thing is that I set it up to be fed by gravity from a plastic barrel (only a couple of metres head). That way can't accidentaly leave the tap on for days :oops:. Next time I set it up I will put a float switch on the barrel and have it filled from the water tank as it drops and have the filling on a timer to make sure I don't leave it running for days on end. The thing about this type of watering is that it is done very slowly and utlilises the capilary action of the soil. Generally I would leave it running for 4 hours at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 pm 

what is lawn? :dunno:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:47 pm 

I have lawn, but have never watered it and never will. It dies backa t times, but comes back strong once it rains. I prefer it when it is dead, less work mowing.

I have certainly reduced the amount of lawn we have here since I bought the place, in favour of more productive areas.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:10 pm 

Jaymie wrote:
what is lawn? :dunno:

Is that vile plant that keeps growing. I filled a 200ltr compost drum today with grass I pulled out. You can't even see where I took it from. :cry: Roundup time again. :bat:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:03 am 

Of course roundup is very nasty stuff. I do use if occassionaly, but only in slect areas nowhere near where I'm ever going to grow food stuff, infrequently and sparingly. I went off using it altogether, but am now a little more pragmatic about it.

If trying to get rid of areas of the stuff, sheet mulching is a much better option than using a poison.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:53 am 

I did mulch this area before. The lawn said thank you daddy and grew through it. :bash:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 pm 

Hence the need to place newspaper sheets (fully wetted and at least 4 or 5 pages thickness) down overlapping each other before laying the mulch. Try it, it works.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:09 pm 

veggie boy wrote:
Hence the need to place newspaper sheets (fully wetted and at least 4 or 5 pages thickness) down overlapping each other before laying the mulch. Try it, it works.

This had paper and cardboard boxes in some places. Its getting a dose of something and then covered again. kikuyu drinks roundup as a tonic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:37 pm 

Mate - hope you are not intending to grow food crops there.