View unanswered posts | View active topics  It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Garden with no Soil
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:11 am 

I have an area of my yard, about 20 by 20 foot where I want to turn it into a 20 by 20 raised garden bed one foot deep. The soil is like cement and no one plants in it. It is some sort of red clay. If I mix goat poop, rice hulls, and coconut coir together in equal mixture and fill,pack, the bed, will I be able to plant in it and have a good garden without soil?

Note: At present, here in Thailand, due to the floods and mon soon rains I cannot buy half way decent soil to mix into the above mixture. The above mixture with equal parts of half way decent soil is what most of my garden and wicking beds are made with, with good success. My wife has been searching for over six months for soil with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas? Have you ever done this? Please advise with what ever information you may have. johnra

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:43 pm 

You should be fine with what you are suggesting, mix in some worm compost if you have some and add worms to help kickstart the biological activity. My new garden was not to dissimilar, I used horse manure and some soil improver mixed together and everything is growing well.

You can add the worms by putting a few in bed worm farm buckets in to help, I have plans for this as my garden has very few worms at the moment. Just get an old bucket with lid, drill hles in the bottom and put in vegetable scraps and composting worms. Half bury the bucket in the garden and the worms will migrate out and you will get the worm juice leachate going in.